<!– Put this anywhere in the of your page where you want the widget to show up. –>AVB: ‘Abramovich questioned my team selection’
- News: Villas-Boas an admirer of Benitez
- News: Chelsea in trouble – Ivanovic
- News: No approach from Chelsea – Benitez
- News: Villas-Boas shrugs off Inter link
Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has rejected reports that defender Ashley Cole questioned his tactics in the aftermath of Tuesday night’s 3-1 loss to Napoli, but admits owner Roman Abramovich did.
It was suggested by sections of the British media that Cole had confronted Villas-Boas over his strategy after Chelsea slumped to a disappointing last-16 Champions League first leg loss in Naples.
The speculation added to the conjecture over the Portuguese’s future, with former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez this week linked with his position at Stamford Bridge. Benitez has since revealed no approach has been made.
Of the reports regarding Cole, Villas-Boas said: “This is not true.” He then stressed that he is confident he still has the backing of Abramovich: “Yes. Of course.”
He did, however, admit that he had to explain his starting XI against Napoli to the club’s hierarchy, with the likes of Frank Lampard and Fernando Torres having to settle for a place on the bench.
Villas-Boas said: “I have spoken to the persons near to him (Abramovich). He is disappointed and asking questions about how we set up the team, which were duly explained.”
The Chelsea manager also confirmed he expects to be without John Terry for “five-to-six weeks” after the defender needed minor surgery earlier this week.